A Letter To My Pre-Baby Self

mum and dad holding toddler boy and girl

Dear pre-baby me,

I'm about to drop some truth bombs and give you a glimpse into your future as a badass mama. Buckle up because this is going to be a wild ride!

First things first, let's talk about sleep. Remember those cosy lie-ins and uninterrupted slumber sessions? Yeah, you’ll lose those for a bit. But don’t panic. You’ll discover The Blissful Baby Expert’s book and get that routine in place so you will get your nights back, and much earlier than you thought possible. 7 pm – 7 am. Yeah, that’s kinda the best lie-in you’ll get for a while.

In the first few weeks, there are no two ways around it. You’ll need to embrace the sleepless nights and rock that zombie-chic look. But fear not. Things might seem tough, but you'll discover a whole new level of strength and resilience you never knew existed.

Now, let's address those perfectly styled tresses of yours. Get ready to embrace the messy bun as your go-to hairstyle, which, let’s face it; you always rocked in the first place. The natural, effortless look will be your signature style, giving you that "I woke up like this" vibe (because you did).

Oh, and remember those spontaneous outings with friends? Yeah, they'll require a bit more planning and coordination now. Changing bags, buggies and endless supplies in tow will make getting out of the house a whole lot trickier. But, you’ll have the whole wide world to show your little ones, and you’ll soon discover a new tribe of mummy friends to share the #mumlife struggle.

Sponsored By: Shepherds Friendly
FREE ISA Boost When You Start An Investment Journey For Your Baby's Future!

And your house... cherish those before photos because when the kids arrive, it’ll be taken over by toys, and more toys. Not to mention the bulky baby kit in those first few months. The rockers, the ride-ons, the jumpers, the high chairs, the pregnancy pillows, the baby gates… Shall I go on? You catch my drift.

News just in – you’re not going to be able to clean out that cutlery drawer for a few years. But it’s fine. Embrace the chaos and relish in the laughter and giggles that will fill your home. It’s so important to learn to let go of the need for perfection. The dusting can wait. It’s time to focus on creating a loving, vibrant, and oh-so-memorable environment for your little ones.

Now, let’s talk about your body. Pregnancy and childbirth will bring some changes, but your body will be a freaking warrior goddess. You’ll miss out on the stretch marks, but maybe still use the cream, just in case, yeah? The c-section scar is a lot to deal with at first, but it fades, and your body will bounce back surprisingly well in time, but remember, there’s no rush.

Last but not least, let's talk about love. Your heart is about to explode with a fierce and powerful love that'll leave you breathless. The tiny humans you'll bring into the world will teach you the true meaning of unconditional love. Your days will be filled with snuggles, giggles, and those heart-melting moments that will make every sleepless night and reflux fuelled crying session worth it.

You’re about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. Yeah, you’ll have to do IVF but be brave. It’s not as scary as it sounds. And it’ll make you even more grateful for your children.

So, my fabulous pre-baby self, prepare for the adventure of a lifetime. It won't always be easy (breastfeeding will be a pain in the arse, and you’ll feel like a failure, but you’ll get through it and do your best as you always do), but it will be the most rewarding, awe-inspiring, and love-filled journey you could ever imagine.

Your future self is cheering you on, ready to take on the world—one messy hairdo at a time!

With love and high-fives,

Your Edgy Mama Self

If you enjoyed reading this content why not share it with others!
Articles shown are a mixture of informative pieces, anecdotal accounts and professional advice from our panel of Bloggers, Writers and Experts. The views and opinions expressed in these articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official view of this site.